Tuesday, February 5, 2008

God Blesses us!

On Friday when I was driving home from work as I got off the American Fork exit I saw a mini-van that had slid off the road. It was late, cold and dark. As I continued up the off ramp I saw a women walking in heels and a skirt. I got this strong feeling that I was to tell her to get in my car for her safety. When that thought entered my mind I thought back she won’t get in the car with a complete stranger. I yelled to her from my vehicle for her to get in, I told that I was alone, no boys were in the car. To my surprise she got in. I asked her “is that your van?”
She said “yes”.
I then gave her my cell phone and told her she could call whoever she needed. She started crying and told me that she didn’t know any of their phone numbers. They were all at home. She didn’t have a cell phone either. I asked if she was ok and she said yes that she wasn’t hurt. I asked about her van that if it was just stuck, and she said that the front driver tire was flat. I told her I could call my husband to change it for her. She told me she didn’t have a spare tire and then started to cry again. At that point I called Eric and he remembered seeing the van, he said she forgot to leave the flashers on. I then got back on the freeway and went back to the exit so we could leave the Hazard lights on. We got out and did that in the deep snow. I then asked her what she wanted to do and she asked if I could drive her home. I said that of course I could where does she live, she told me Eagle Mountain. So I started to drive. She asked if on the way we could pick up her four children from the babysitter. I said yes that was fine. As we drove she started to spill the beans of why she couldn’t call her husband. She said that he had left her 4 months ago and that he had cheated on her numerous times. They were in a process of a divorce and that he was leaving her with nothing after 12 years of marriage. She was so scared she had been a stay at home mom for the entire marriage. The more she told the worse it got.

The best part is that she told me where she had come from which was a LDS singles dance. She said she had left early because the men were all so creepy, she said that a guy 24 years older than her asked her to dance and invited her back to his place. Yuck!! That is all the same scary stories I hear from all of my clients who go, I felt even worse for her.

When we got to Eagle Mountain, she was still so upset that she couldn’t remember the way to the sitter house. We drove around for a minute then she remembered. When we arrived there at about 11:30pm I went with her to the door. The poor women at the door (the sitter) looked so confused. I explained that I had picked her up and brought her there. I explained about her van, because she was still so upset and crying. I told her that I made her get in with me and that the van would most likely have to be towed. The sitter started to cry and thanked me. She said that she had it from here and that she would drive her home. I left my phone number in case she needed anything else.
The next day I went to work and came home and her van was gone, so I assumed it must have worked out ok. I am so glad she got in the car with me. When I had asked her why she got in, she said that something told her to get in for her safety. Another time God steps in and helps us out, I feel blessed by him.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Mandi,
your such a great person to stop and help her. I am sure she appreciated it.

Ben and Lori said...

Amazing. When you hear stories like that it is hard not to feel blessed.

Hey, I love your new pictures. I really like your hair.

The Ball Family said...

Wow! It makes me feel special to know such a great and kind person.

Amy said...

My mom always stopped for people and she was a single mom....what was her name cuz there is a lady in our ward in almost the exact situation. Although her boys are teenagers....anyways, I still get the urge to stop for everyone but I get scared these days as well. I'm glad it worked out. :)